Asking for letters of recommendation
- If you want to ask me for a letter of recommendation or to be a reference, please review my instructions for making this request here.
- Harvard has a nice overview of what asking for a letter really means.
Guiding students through college and beyond
- On rural colleges, from NPR: “One Reason Rural Students Don’t Go To College: Colleges Don’t Go To Them”
Deciding about attending graduate school
- My presentation on Graduate School, with special focus on contrasting between professional (terminal Masters or JD programs) and PhD programs
- Dr. Tressie McMillan Cottem fantastic advice to students considering graduate school
- Fabio Rojas’s “Grad Skool Rulz: Everything You Need to Know About Academia from Admissions to Tenure.”
- The Professor is In’s take on going to graduate school
- Plus to takes on what graduate school is for: Graduate School Is a Means to a Job and On Enjoying Grad School
- Tomorrow’s Professor (Rick Reis at Stanford) has an extensive list of resources related to grad schools, colleges, special needs in academia, and research.
If you attend graduate school
- This article from the Chronicle of Higher Education: 10 Tips to Help You ‘Win’ at Graduate School
- The Professor is In blog is invaluable. There is also a book.
- More out of date, but still helpful, is the book “Getting What You Came For: The Smart Student’s Guide to Earning an M.A. or a Ph.D.”
- Large list of free/cheap software useful for graduate students, postdocs, and early career researchers
Academic Job Search Resources (password protected)