One of my responsibilities and joys as a professor is to write letters of recommendation for students pursuing exciting opportunities. If you are considering asking me to write you a letter of recommendation, please follow the requests below:
Email me your request at least one month in advance. In your request email, provide me with the following information:
- A reminder of who you are (xx major/graduation year) and how I know you (xx class in xx quarter, work-study student, etc.)
- A summary of the position/grant you are applying for, with a link to the organization (if appropriate)
- A sentence explaining why you are excited for this opportunity
- A sentence stating why you would like me to write you a letter for this opportunity.
- A clear explanation of what you need from me: what kind of reference, when the letter/agreement to be listed as a reference is due.
- Two attachments:
- a draft version of your application essays
- your resume/CV
If I cannot write a good recommendation letter for you, I will say no to your request.
If I do write you a letter of recommendation, please let me know the outcome of your application. Good or bad! If I write you a letter, that means I want to follow your progress!